Re: Re: Re:[ST] 99 Sprint ST fault codes and Idle orstallingproblem.continued

Fred

I don't think what you've said invalidates my supposition.  What you
describe as a calibration procedure is, in fact a de-calibration
procedure to force the ECU to do its own calibration.

The corrected value will be set to 0% at startup even though the pot
may say 10% (e.g.).  The corrected value at all openings will then be
pot-reading minus the 10%.

Incidentally, the FM says 70% on the throttle pot is a typical
full-open value.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> Frederic.Nizery@xxxxxxxxxx 17/06/2005 13:05:51 >>>
Chris and Stephen

>>The Factory manual shows Air Inlet Temp sensor between 11 and 34 on
the...

>>I would expect the ECM to measure the
>>throttle position at startup and calibrate it to zero (my guess) so
>>don't worry about 10% fully closed.

In fact no. There is a calibration procedure. You can have a look at
the australian guy
tools manual.
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Tutorials/TuneBoyTutorial.html.

There is actually a relative trottle pos and corrected trottle pos. But
the corrected one is not
accessible w/ the supported standard OBD codes. It's the extended code
69 not supported by this ECU.

What I understand and more or less experienced is that when you lower
the idle voltage by unscrewing
the two screws and then moving slightly toward the right (counter
clockwise), next time you start the bike,
the ECU will adjust it.

That's why they say instead to set the corrected value to a too hight
voltage on purpose. But for that you need
the game-boy(triumph) or the tune-boy. W/o you can just move the sensor
(engine stopped) to get a lower voltage
than what is stored in the ECU.

But this is valid only if the corrected idle voltage set in the ECU is
not too low.
I couldn't swear about the clockwise vs counter clockwise.
It's a tricky tune w/o their tool. Even more tricky on a pre 2002.

In conclusion: You shouldn't have a zero volts at zero pos. Relative
trottle pos at 10 % seems OK. If the relative trottle pos
is not good, the ECU would think either the trottle is a little open
when closed and then put more fuel (hight consumption
driving in town when often idling), or the ecu will think your trottle
is closed when it's not, run too lean too soon
and conduct for example to stall when releasing the trottle too fast
and/or having a poor idle.

Fred 02 ST BRG