[ST] RE: st-digest V2001 #431

Neil Wrote:

>I took it back to the dealer, and although they still didn't think
>it was a problem, they did drain off the excess (I just don't know how much
>excess that was).  I just assumed that they had dumped in all four litres
>without checking.  Triumph's service manual specifies 4.00 litres, but only
>for a dry fill, filter included.

>Neil

Neil, this is a BIG problem, Your bike, if overfilled, will leak oil from
the countershaft sprocket (amongst others) when ridden hard, which might
result in costly repairs if this seal should pop (400 miles from home on
your way to a rally mid-summer 102 degrees) get the picture.
Secondly there is in my opinion no way that the crank case will take 4
litres of oil during an oil change, I believe that while writing the manual,
Triumph made some conversions between Imp Gal. US gal. and litres and
somehow got confused between this all thus the 4 liter figure.
When I drain my oil, I position my bike on a super bike stand (rear wheel
less than 1mm from the ground so that I can just slide a piece of thin paper
under it) and let it drip for at least 45 min. with the filter and drain
plug removed. Theoretically You should then be able to fit a new filter and
empty a 4 Litre can of your favorite oil into the crank case and the level
should be just right? wrong, Try it you will see that you will have to drain
of at least 400 ML. after you have started the bike and let the oil settle
again, to get the level right.
Overfilled crank cases will cause serious damage! and will not allow your
bike to shift smoothly.
Just my 2 cents
Gerrit
'01 Yellow RS