Major fuel leak!

Ok I have read all about the small leaks from the fuel sender and just had to go one better.

My journey to work is about 80 miles, the end of which is through heavy London traffic.

I had just exited the Blackwall tunnel and stopped at a set of lights. "I can smell petrol." I think to my self.

At the next set of lights I happen to look at the fuel guage and noticed that it had moved from the full mark. Normaly only moves after 120 miles.

Next set of lights I look down and notice a BIG pool of petrol appearing beneath the bike.

Try to coast it to work but due to massive rear wheel spin due to the amount of fuel I am leaving on the road I decided to push it the last few hundred metres.

At first I am thinking new fuel sender that went in 2500 miles ago. But as soon as I turned off the ignition the leak stopped.

Oh dear a leak on the pressurised side of the fuel system, not good.

I had the bike trailered to the dealer and I am at this point in time sitting in service reception (tapping on Palm IIIx) waiting for them to replace the fuel rail and the two big fat pipes that connect to it.

It turns out that one of these pipes had developed a split. It was not rubbing on anything so must be a component failure. The service mamager telephoned Triumph there and then and explained the problem. The guy at Triumph said he wanted to see the failed pipe and would report back.

I estimate I lost 5 litres of fuel, mostly down my right leg. Any good tips to get rid of the smell.

Just thankful I did not go up in flames.

- --
Regards, Ian
Kent, England