From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Traina
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:46 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [St] motorcycle towing services/insurance roundup (US)

So,

What I've found so far:

AAA has an "AAA RV Plus" membership in some states, which is primarily
for RV's (motor homes), but also includes ATVs and most importantly
motorcycles.
Opinions on the service are mixed, not incredibly favorable, with huge
variations in regional service.

MTS towing (mts-towing.com) claims to be a "AAA-like" service with
7000+ towing companies affiliated with them.
I've read elsewhere that coverage can be spotty, and after looking at
their website, where they claim to be "motorcycle only", the fine
print in their policy was lifted straight from a car towing policy and
had lots of stuff N/A to motorcycles.  Makes me worried.
"If you break down on the road that prevents you from proceeding, we
will have you picked up with the right equipment and taken to the
nearest motorcycle repair facility. MTS will cover the tow according
to which plan you chose."
PREMIER PLANS - MTS pays for the first $300 of your tow from point of
pickup to point of delivery. Coverage is for two motorcycles only.
Each additional motorcycle is $5.00 per year extra. All motorcycles
must be registered with MTS. Only 1980 and newer motorcycles are
eligible for coverage.
  Single Membership, 1 Year $89.95
DELUXE PLANS - MTS covers the first $150.00 of the tow from point of
pickup to point of delivery. Coverage is for two motorcycles only.
Each additional motorcycle is $5.00 per year extra. All motorcycles
must be registered with MTS. Only 1980 and newer motorcycles are
eligible for coverage.
  Single Membership, 1 Year $49.95

Bros Club (brosclub.com) also provides emergency roadside services and
towing.
Service - Our nationwide network of more than 40,000 motorcycle-savvy
flat-bed service providers are ready to serve you. In your own home
town or across the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico, Bros Club is there for
you.
Benefits - Members are eligible to receive up to 5 emergency service
calls each year and FREE TRANSPORT for up to 35 miles per service
call! Yes, we'll take you home or drop you off at your favorite local
repair shop or dealer.
$85/year

American Motorcyclist Association
MoTow: People who know how to tow motorcycles, available 24 hours a
day, in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico and Canada. Just $25 a year
covers ALL of your motorcycles.
	. Towing up to 35 miles by a vehicle equipped to handle motorcycles
	. All dispatch and hook-up fees included
	. MoTow pays; you don't have to pay first and wait for
reimbursement.
	. Emergency fuel delivery
	. No exclusions for older motorcycles
	. Up to five claims per year
	. Have your disabled motorcycle towed to a shop or your home, at
your
choice
	. Emergency Trip Interruption service: up to $100 in reimbursement
for meals and lodging if your motorcycle is disabled in an accident
	. 800# assistance available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from
two
national call centers

http://www.motorcycleroadside.com/
A (free) website directory of tow services that can handle
motorcycles.  Appears to be auto towers with flatbed trucks.

---------

So, I know the BMW riders clubs have their own emergency roadside
assistance program.  Is this something we could get through RAT?