Re: [ST] Front Brake Difference

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Alderman, John E wrote:

> So what happened?  Something must have changed along the way.

Dirt and brake dust built up along the way keeping your pistons from
working optimally.  And/or you have air or moisture in your lines?

I'm not sure how long you've been a liSTer John, but the procedure for
bleeding and cleaning the pots is in the archive a few times I'm sure.
You basically want to unbolt one caliper, use a paint stir stick or
similar between the pads to keep the pots from squeezing too far out when
you pump the lever a couple of times to get 'em to come out some, then
spray brake cleaner behind the pads around the pots to clean 'em up.  An
old tooth brush helps too.  Take care not to get gook on your pad
surfaces.  Squeez the pads/pots back into the caliper and remount, repeat
for the other side.  Finish up by flushing/bleeding the system with some
fresh fluid and I think you'll be happy for another 5-7k miles.

I've also discovered this periodic maintenance item isn't just something
use trumpet owners need to do, both Hondas in the stable responded
similarly to the process so I'd think this affects all bikes.

FWIW, HIH, YMMV, SDA, yada yada yada.

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\