Re: [ST] Tire Pressure

Increasing the contact patch by decreasing the pressure does not
decrease the friction.  In fact the tyre will sqirm as it passes
thorough the contact area causing more friction.  Then again I'm not a
tyre expert so I'll shut up....  promise.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> sprint_st@xxxxxxxxxxx 24/06/2006 18:55:53 >>>
David,
I stand corrected. The tungsten carbide between my ears has finally
succumbed to the combined knowledge of the list. Yours and the others
explanation finally makes sense.  I am going to experiment as I
outlined in
another post just to see how it all works out.

The guy who did the first test with the thermometer is a moderator on
the
triumphrat list and usually pretty sharp.  I'm wondering if the "over"
pressure deforms the tire reducing the patch area to the point that
center
is heating from road friction more than sidewall flex.  By reducing
the
pressure the area of the patch increases and distributes the load and
reducing friction.  In any event measuring this won't be all that
difficult
and will provide some data to actually see what is happening.
Rod