Re: [ST] Tire Pressure

Racers have tire warmers to get the tires up to temp.  The lower tire pressure will give a larger contact patch and greater grip.  The amount of this and how low you want to run depends on the tire, and the feel the rider wants from the tire.  The lower tire pressure will make ther tire deflect and bend the side wall more, which will cause the rubber to heat up.  This can also make the rubber hotter and stickier.  As for cages, yes - too low of a tire pressure makes the side wall flex and unflex a lot.  That makes the rubber hotter and softer, which can then blow out the tire.

Matt Heyer

----- Original Message ----
From: Jeremy Witt <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 4:43:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] Tire Pressure

I was under the impression that under inflated tires heated up nice and
quick.  Which is why racers run lower pressures and why cages with
really low tires tend to blow them up.  More tread on the road, higher
rolling resistance, higher heat.  At least on cage tires.

Jeremy Witt
Newbury Partners
(o) 603-893-3022
(c) 603-475-4228