Re: [ST] For Dave re Sprint vs S3

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Bob Floyd wrote:

<snip>
>My only real complaint was that the incredible heat generated by the
>stock exhaust (and no doubt the Triumph "race" cans) made it impossible
>to use soft panniers, which makes sport/touring a challenge. I'm solving
>the problem by designing my own exhaust. In a former life I built pipes
>for the company that later became Kirker. So I figure, why not? Mine will
>simplify the tail pipe section to even out the flow, tuck the mufflers in
>better, sound and perform better, and run much cooler. I'm pretty well
>along on the R & D and will probably have the first prototype ready in a
>week or so. If it all works out (and anyone's interested) I'll probably
>try to sell some. So if anyone is considering the same issue, drop me a line and I'll
>send you a picture when I finish.

Woah - a (former) exhaust guy. I've been trolling moto lists for someone
like you.

I'm not considering the same issue, but I have some general questions
because I'd love to put an underseat on the 2000 ST, but the options are
few (I think Black Widow & Wolf no longer make them), expensive and tend
to be quite loud.

In the archives a fellow was talking about putting a stock Ducati
(748/996/998) exhaust on his ST but he never followed up about it. That
seems ideal since they can be had for only a couple hundred on ebay.

Anyway, on to the questions:

Do the aftermarket guys (like Kirker) _really_ tune their pipes for each
bike engine (ie: length, distance to muffler expansion, size of muffler
expansion chamber) for maximum scavenging effect, when I buy an
aftermarket for say, an R6 is it basically just "a higher flow pipe" than
stock (ie: by making the pipe itself wider, reducing bends)?

How about the mufflers? To me it looks like most aftermarkets are just a
generic muffler - no volume or even distance-from-header tuning. The only
variety is in the cosmetic appearance of the muffler, but say an "Aluminum
oval" from manufacturer B is the same for R1, R6, SV650... etc.

I guess in the end I'd like to not lose power, or gain too much weight
with the system. I think some weight gain going to underseat is pretty
unavoidable. And I certainly don't expect to gain power with a more
restrictive air path even if the total pipe volume will be greater and
I'll be adding the 1->2 expansion.

But in this case I know that the pipe will be very much _not_ tuned for
expansion/length for the ST. It is designed for a large V-twin and not a
triple - the exhaust pulses are much smaller on the ST, and the frequency is different.

Paul