[ST] For Dave re Sprint vs S3

Hey Dave. In case you're interested--just traded my 01 RS for a (new) 05 Speed Triple and am ecstatic!

I'm coming from 35 years or so of dirt bikes so I might be a little biased, but this thing runs circles around the RS. And I mean no disrespect to the RS, the S3 is just that good. Better/stronger motor, solid as a rock in all situations, turns like its on rails, every bit as comfortable.....I'm in heaven! It is taller than the RS and I've only got about a 30" inseam so I'm on tiptoes at stops, but the height disappears as soon as you pick your feet up.

My only real complaint was that the incredible heat generated by the stock exhaust (and no doubt the Triumph "race" cans) made it impossible to use soft panniers, which makes sport/touring a challenge. I'm solving the problem by designing my own exhaust. In a former life I built pipes for the company that later became Kirker. So I figure, why not? Mine will simplify the tail pipe section to even out the flow, tuck the mufflers in better, sound and perform better, and run much cooler. I'm pretty well along on the R & D and will probably have the first prototype ready in a week or so. If it all works out (and anyone's interested) I'll probably try to sell some. So if anyone is considering the same issue, drop me a line and I'll send you a picture when I finish.

But anyway Dave, the S3 totally rocks my world--for whatever that's worth to you.

Bob Floyd