Re: [ST] other topic: world cup

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Joel Ashman wrote:

> Yeah, US Football players have that 'Dangerous Activies' clause as well.
> Apparently Ben R. was riding without his helmet against the 'advice' of the
> team owner AND Terry Bradshaw.  Combine that with trying to fuse a 'Busa
> with car, and the Pittsburgh Steelers may be without their Superbowl winning
> Quarterback this year.  And they can fine him or withhold salary because of
> the above clause.

Yeah man, as a Steelers fan and an avid motorcyclist, this sucks
royally...

Agree with all, it's idiotic to ride without a helmet, especially in
downtown Pittsburgh in the particular area he was in, very busy 25 mph
roads.  And if he had been on his hog instead, maybe we wouldn't be in
such a flap over the helmetless decision as seems to be the norm with that
bunch.  Obviously if Ben had been smart enough to wear a helmet his
injuries would have been greatly reduced.  But if you heard him speak on
the subject you are painfully aware he is not smart.

But fine/punish for "dangerous activity"?  Last time I looked this was a
perfectly lawful mode of transportation...

What really enrages me is the 62 year old woman who violated his right of
way hasn't even had charges filed against her nor was ticketed (yet).
How much of this has to happen before we start testing/watching older
drivers for repeated accidents/problems?  Unfortunately I see this sort of
driving way too often, including with residents immediately surrounding
me, and do not agree that driving is a "right" everyone has to ensure
their mobility and freedom.  It is a priveledge that one should have to
prove able to maintain.

Sorry for the rant but had to throw my .02 in,

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\