[ST] ck eng light 03 ST and fuel?

Ok - I recall that if the battery is disconnected the ck eng light will come on and it will take 3 heat/cool cycles to clear it, but I was running on reserve and as I came into the gas station, the ck eng light came on.  I am thinking the ECU thought I had run out of gas, which I hadn't (but was close to).  Has this happened to anyone else?  Will the tried and true method of 3 heat/cool cycles clear this as well or do I have to get it reset?  Any other possible issues I should think about?

Thanks,

Jonathan