From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt Knowles
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:53 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Higher RPM for racing?

On Aug 22, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Joel Ashman wrote:

> It seems to me (a non racer) that given 2 motors with
> the same displacement, one with 12000 RPM and 150 HP (and a peaky
> curve) and
> a 6000 RPM 150 HP (flat curve) that the lower one would be more usable

> on
> the track.

The major flaw in your argument is that for the same displacement, a
motor that can spin at twice the RPM can theoretically make twice the
horsepower. Real world there is less difference but enough that you'd
never win with a bike that could only spin 6000. Assuming we're talking
road racing here and not flat tracking.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned