[ST] Tank quick disconnect failure

I know in the past there were a lot of male disconnect failures to the extent that there was a recall. That particular part was changed about two years ago on my 01 ST (which I bought in late 03 new). Now last night I started to smell a strong gasoline odor from around that area. After removing the side panel under the tank, sure enough there was a moist patch around the left upper disconnect (when looking straight at it from the right side of the tank). Damn! How could that be! That's a replaced item and its failing already? Wiggling it around just made things worse and gasoline just started dripping out in a hurry. I disconnected the line and plugged it with an old pencil. It stopped the pouring but not the weeping. So today I run down to my local dealer and tell'em my story. "Must be a bad O-ring, they say" Of course I never disconnected the line after they installed the upgrade. Anyway with named O-ring in hand and a new male coupling just in case, I run home and installe
 d the
"new" O-ring. I was not really surprised when the new O-ring didn't stop the leak, for one I didn't see anything wrong with the old one. But what really surprised me is how much I could wiggle the female part that was still attached to the tank plate. And there was the problem - a nice big crack between the threaded part and the main body. So, back I went to the dealer - and of course THAT part was not under warranty. 20.- later I'm holding a genuine brand new piece in my hand that they said will break again in the future. Huh? I guess it is common knowledge but why has this not been taken care of the recall I don't know. Male part - covered, female part is not. What the hell?
Has anybody else's part failed? Do I have to remove the tank and drain it? My fear is, when I try to unscrew the female part from the tank the main part will break off from the threaded part.
I'll let you know tomorrow how the operation went.

Triumph Sprint ST/RS mailing list
Send list posts to ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx