From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eoin Kirwan
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:20 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Prices in different markets - was: Omen

On Thursday 03 August 2006 13:37, Matthew Heyer wrote:

> I'm thinking that $5k is a bit high for your bike.  Those book values
> always seem inflated compared to what people are selling at and
getting.
> Heck I picked up a 2000 ST with ~8k miles and tons of extras (luggage,

> exhaust, race-teched front, etc, etc) for less than $5k a year ago.

Not that I'm jealous or anything (LOL) but the prices of new and
secondhand bikes in the States are SO cheap it's unbelievable.

I know we generally have higher taxes in Europe but even stripping them
out it doesn't go near to explaining the difference.

Seems to me that bike manufacturers are so hung up on getting big
volumes into the all-important US market that they're discounting like
hell and boosting their margins in other markets where competition is
less fierce.

I can't believe Triumph are building bikes in the UK with relatively
high labour costs etc., shipping them to the US and selling them at the
prices offered and still making money.

Thoughts?