Re: [ST] Tires for a 2000 RS (test info)

>From: david.funk@xxxxxxxxxxx
>1) How much difference does it make that they tested with an R6?
>That is a very light bike compared to my '00 Sprint ST.

I think it's more useful to compare differences between tires
on the same bike. You'd measure the same kinds of differences,
only more or less pronounced, when you'd compare them on a Sprint.
If one tire is less stable than another on the R6, it should be
similar (in difference) on the Sprint.

>2) Using the GPS to measure corner speeds.
>What kind of GPS was it?
>My experience with GPS has at least  +/- 15 feet, so even a 100 ft
>corner would have significate errors.

Don't know what kind of GPS (since they're using the same satellites,
that shouldn't matter much), but I think it's more the combination
of the datalogging system with GPS sensors (to compare differences
between each other perhaps to compute accelerations in certain axes?)
that does the trick? Just brainstorming...

The graph on the last page shows the differences between the two
extremes; the Azaro (blue line) versus the new Diablo Strada (red).
The bumps in the graph where riders (on the wet French track) are
on the limit in the turns, with the front tire loosing traction and
running out of track. Can't find more details on the measuring of
the data. But those Germans know how to make a proper test, don't
they :-)? Motorrad is a huge magazine, even with a lot of sub magazines
like Motorrad BMW, Motorrad Reisen (travel) and more. They got plenty
of resources, money and influence on manufacturers.

Emile
www.piloot.com

Thanks for the info,
David W. Funk