Re: [ST] oil filterwrench discussion

Rod Brown wrote:

>Steven,
>It's amazing how fast the oil pumps through that puppy too.  I had somewhere
>between 2 and three quarts on the floor before I knew it.

I had just finished buttoning up my bike after the 12K valve shim
adjustment, the first time I had been in the engine, and I didn't get
the valve cover gasket seated properly. With the bike just idleing all
looked fine, so I jumped on it and rode it 20 miles to my local
BMW dealer, parked out front next to a couple of beemers and went
inside. When I came back out I was horrified to see what looked like
a quart of oil on the ground under the bike.  The guys who owned the
beemers came out about the same time, and one said "Damn limey bikes".
After I got it back home and stripped and cleaned the fairings, fixed
the valve cover gasket, it was still dripping oil from the little nooks
and crannies for
about a week. The lesson learned in all this was to take the  plastic
factory cable clamps that hold the wiring where it runs past the valve
cover, completely
out when doing the valves. Don't try to hold the gasket to the valve
cover and manuver it around these clamps.
    It was one one of those Zen and Motorcycle Maintenance moments.
Al