Re: [ST] Wheelies

Hi Garry,

At 16:32 15/01/2004, you wrote:
>I know the Sprint isn't a squidly kind of bike and most Sprint owners
>aren't the squidly type, but thought I'd ask anyway.
>
>In the 10K miles I put on my 02 RS last season, I never got the sense it
>EVER wanted to power wheelie. You know, no bouncing, clutching, chopping
>the throttle, etc. Just a pure, whack the throttle and the front end rises
>kinda
>thing. I've got an 18T up front and always ride solo (no pillion to
>lighten the front end). I tend to practically sit on the tank too (if that
>matters).

My '00 ST will power wheelie in 1st without too much enthusiasm on my
part.  It's snowy so I can't supply figures, but from about 4000rpm in
first gear if I REALLY go for acceleration, the front wheel pops about a
foot in the air until I change into second when it gently pomps back to earth.

Going from a 70bhp 600cc middleweight to the ST I was wheelying quite a lot
in my first couple of weeks by accident once I /thought/ I'd got used to
the extra power.  Now I know the real limits and possibilities it's much
more of a conscious thing.

I'm sure the RS should be easier to wheelie as it has less weight up front
and the '02 model should have about 10bhp more (I think?)

And having said all that:  Don't do it!  It's bad for the clutch and
suspension and frame.

Phew.  Sorry 'bout that.  Must the Middle Aged Sensible part of me creeping
out the leathers again ;)

Andrew

End of st-digest V2004 #28