From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Robertr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, 14 January 2004 9:54 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] RE: st-digest V2004 #24

OK, I'll buy into a couple of discussions.

On steering, it's all about countersteering. There's no need for
leverage etc - this is a finely tuned sports tourer, not a Mack truck. I
find that the only thing I do consistently is to hang off to the inside.
This gives more corner speed for less lean (or more speed when you've
run out of available lean!) At no time have I found the need for any
more than controlled pressure on the inside grip (apart from the gale
force wind ride to Bathurst). Pushing on the inside and pulling on the
outside make it difficult to achieve consistent smooth cornering at
speed. All about balance.

With two up, provided the pillion understands to just lean with the bike
and not try to lean against the turn its fine. If they like to lean off
the side with you...even better .... two up at (illegal speed)kph in a
65kph corner with plenty in reserve! I think I might try the fork
upgrade to improve what's already a great bike.

On underseat exhausts for the new Sprint wish list, I've got one on mine
and it doesn't effect the saddlebags at all, though Triumph would have
to make it bigger for noise requirements. Better headlights would be
good, but I use PIAA super plasma bulbs (illegal but talk about instant
daylight on high beam)They're expensive, ... Philips Crystal Vision
(also illegal) are almost as good and 1/2 the price.

Definitely don't want an FJR for the next model... keep it light and on
the sporty side... more suspension, more broad range power, in fact keep
the current frame.. it's tops, just change the bodywork, power,
instruments, suspension then bring out an FJR like replacement for the
Trophy, there is room for both in the market

On LED, I've got Clear Alternatives LED taillight on my bike -
spectacular. Only negative is you lose the numberplate light, but I
fitted a 6 led bar above the numberplate, works great. Added benefit of
LED lamps - you get an effective 19-20 ft of stopping clearance (I think
at 50k/30mph) for the idiot behind you, because the LED is instant
whereas a filament has to heat up and that fraction of a second
translates to 19-20ft, and the CA LED's are super bright...enough to
snap tin top'rs out of their doze. You could get their bulb type clear
tailight and then buy two of the aftermarket RED LED bulbs with the ring
of white LED's, LEDtronics make one (too expensive) but I'm sure there
are others out there . just don't go cheap Taiwanese - they're not
bright enough.

What a mouthful!

*   *