Re: [ST] Spinning rear brake light

> > On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:55:05PM -0500, Heyer, Matthew A. wrote:
> > Has anyone tried one of these 1157 replacements?  It's touted as a
> > spinning LED rear light, direct replacement.  Thoughts?

. . .and "Rod Brown" replied:
> Never tried the rotators because they were too much of a gimic
> even for me.

I've got mixed emotions on them.  A friend has one in his MG V-11
Sport.  Let's just say it gets your attention.  In fact, when I'm
behind him its almost mesmerizing with the rotation changing back &
forth.  The brake light flashes maybe five times and then goes steady,
a serious wake-up call.

> Currently I'm replacing the tail turn signals with those from a
Honda
> VFR250, I think, which run 1157 bulbs.  That way I'll use the low
power
> filament as running lights and the stop filament for turn signals.
Big
> reflectors and lots of light.  Easy to wire up.  Might put a box in
to use
> in conjunction with stop lights but not for a while.

Rod,
I'm interested in this mod.  Couple of questions:
1) are the mini VFR's rear lenses red (legal as running lights) or
amber (not)?

I'm looking for shorter-stalk rear signals to clear my soft luggage.
I know the factory short ones as installed on the pannier-equipped
ST's and several other 'T' models would work, but I'm too cheap to buy
them.  I've had the word out at the dealer for a set of crashed ones
(all I need is the stalks) for ages.
2) Any chance the VFR rears are shorter than the STockers?

Anyone figured out a good front running light setup?
- --
Thanks,
Rick in (warmer) Oregon
'01 Sprint ST
if anyone is experiencing a sand shortage,
we've got tons of it on our roads :o|