re: [ST] OT - a real world tour

<Mike Bostock wrote:

Back in 2002, whilst riding through France with an ex ST'er
http://www.sprint-st.org/routes/france_2002_index.html we met a
couple, Simon and Lisa. who were in training for a world tour with a
difference.  This was not just a straight around the world trip but
an attempt to visit as many countries as possible whilst doing so.

They appear to have reached Morocco - if you have a few hours to
spare, their diary (especially the Moroccan bit) is interesting.

http://www.2ridetheworld.com/>

Simon and Lisa Newbounds spent a couple of nights in my town [Norman, OK]
in December with another long distance rider. they were waiting for a new
chain and sprockets for the 650 at the BMW dealer. i called and left a
message 'welcome to our town, have a great trip'. i got a call back a few
hours later, 'come on over and meet them'.

they are great folks, and not 'travel-weary' or tired of being asked the
same stuff by a bunch of local lightweights; they were as enthusiastic
about their ride as one of us is for a weekend in the mountain twisties.
their rigs, BMW 1150GS, F650; were neat and shipshape [maybe he learned
something being a submariner for 24 years?]. his rig grossed out at 1,000
pounds, hers at 750. she was carrying nearly as much as he was!

they were planning on riding to Houston, New Mexico, and Colorado [the
only state they hadn't crossed yet]. we had a short chat about Colorado in
December...they went anyway, to get the 'notch in the gun', but didn't go
through the high passes. they camp out about half the time; a big
challenge besides language are the countries that don't mark the highways.
they spent an hour waiting at a crossroads somewhere around Nepal for
someone else to come along to point the shortest route to gas.

i can hardly get my wife to ride to the lake for a hamburger; these guys
have crossed the backside of Tibet. zowie.

bp