Re: [ST] Bringing Bikes to Japan

At 14:46 27/11/03, you wrote:
>Anyone have any experience bringing a motorcycle to Japan for touring?

I cannot help directly Jim, but I do know that the official, annual
motorcycle checks performed in Japan are very, very strict and very, very
expensive. In fact, it is these checks that helped sustain the "grey
import" market in the UK. The bikes were so expensive to keep on the road
in Japan, they were auctioned off and bought by UK dealers for import to
satisfy a huge gap in the ~400cc market here, which was in turn brought
about by a change in the UK motorcycling licensing laws.

If you are going to be working there for an extended stay and registering
the bike there, it might be pretty tough. If you are just taking the bike
over for a "holiday", the rules might be very different compared to if you
are "living" there. Your Visa might then dictate how your bike is treated.

I'd be interested to know what you discover.

- - Stephen (Spud) McS.