Re: [ST] Real <proven> benefits of triumph performance

Hi Bryce

Being stuck all the way over here in the UK has it's
pros and cons. The biggest neg is that I'm asleep
while you guys are chatting freely to one another. The
pos is that when I get to the digest in the morning, I
get a great overview of the topic.

I think folk have said pretty much everything there is
to say about fitting the Triumph can, but here's my 5,
er, pence worth:

- - It does weigh less. Several pounds less. It's got
less internal stuff AND it's shorter by at least a
couple of inches. Saves about as much weight as ...
going to the can!

- - Because it's shorter it fattens up the low rev
torque noticeably. It pulls cleanly almost from
tickover, for example. Great if you ride a lot in
traffic. It doesn't apparently do much to the mid- to
top-range, BUT it does breathe better, so...

- - If you load the correct Triumph tune as well, you'll
find that the rev limit changes from the stock 9500ish
to something like 10500 (I've only hit it once, and I
was too busy hanging on to look at the tacho). Higher
rpm definitely = higher mph!

- - Since it pulls and generally drives so much better
at low rpm you don't need to change gear so much,
which largely offsets the increased fuel consumption.

- - It's only modestly louder. Neighbours won't mind it.
I do like the extra deep growl, but sometimes I want
more!

- - If you want real weight savings and A VERY LOUD
SOUND, go for a Wolf or similar. But if you want a
bike that's all-round better to ride then the Triumph
can/tune is a great combination. I think it produces
what the bike's designers wanted it to do, before all
the noise and emissions controls screwed it up.

Barry
00 RS