Re: [ST] Real <proven> benefits of triumph performance exhaust?

On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 02:19  PM, Bryce wrote:
> I'm considering adding the Triumph accessory
> performance exhaust (stainless) to my 2002 Sprint RS.
> I know I will realize a weight savings.

Are you sure?  IIRC, they're pretty darn close.

> But with a
> ECU remap from a triumph dealer, does anyone have any
> dyno charts(before/after) of the effects of the
> exhaust and remap?  I've heard rumor that it adds
> torque down low, but can't confirm that.

The "race" tune does increase the richness of the mixture down low,
which helps provide some additional power and smooths out the throttle
response.  Eric has scans of the dynos on my bike (a '00 ST) that
should give you some idea of the change.
<http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/dyno/index.html>

> I figure u'd need the
> tune-boy to setup an aftermarket exhaust where Triumph
> has not provided a tune for it specifically.  And
> would there be a significant price increase over a
> regular Tune remap for a Triumph accessory exhaust?

Most aftermarket exhaust cans do OK with the Triumph "race" tune, but
some folks have reported some additional improvement by tweaking the
tune with that aftermarket Tuneboy.  If you could find a dealer to do
the tweaking, expect to pay regular dealer rates for several hours of
work.  The dealer would need a dyno, though, to really gauge the
effectiveness of their tune tweaks, and you might pay extra for that,
too.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.