Re: [ST] Brake Pads??

>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:58:13 -0500
>From: Colt45 <colt4530@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ST] Brake Pads??
>
>18k and you're bitchin'?!

Heck yah, I'd bitch.  I've got 38k miles on my '02 and I'm still on the
original pads.  The fronts are starting to get into the last 15%, or so, and
the rears are hardly worn at all.  The '99 still had it's original rear pads
at trade in, 45k miles.  :)

>I didn't think I was using my rear much until I checked them at the 6k
>service.  Factory pads were $45 - my RAT discount for the rear.  They
>are sintered metallic like the more famous EBC HH pads.  The HH pads MAY
>have a higher friction coefficient, but since they are both made the
>same way I doubt it.  EBC claims a u of 0.7; the highest I've ever
>seen.  Typical car stuff is 0.35 - 0.4.  The EBC pads might be cheaper.

The biggest difference I found in the EBC HH front vs. the OEM pads.  They
didn't bite quite as hard on initial application, and they 'sung'.  The EBC
HH's stopped just fine, but they did feel different from the OEM pads.

>My pads appear to fit a Honda Super Hawk and a Honda 919.  I'll test
>that on a friends bike.

That would make sense, as the brakes are Nissin components.  A company wholy
owned by Honda.

Steven "Dirtry Dawg" Kohlscheen