RE: [ST] re: Pappy's Run and Economics

Hey Charlie,

Nice to hear a sane and logical counter to my viewpoint. There are indeed
pitfalls with my line of thinking if you take it too far. Of course,
everybody has an opinion on what's too far. That's why we live in a
representative democracy or republic or whatever so these kinds of issues
are resolved in a (hopefully) logical manner.

As my wife put it: It would devastate her to every seriously hurt or kill
someone. She'd be an emotion wreck! It would affect most anybody to
seriously injure or kill another. Why would anybody want to do that to
somebody else? Why would anybody want to cause somebody else that kind of
preventable heartache, especially if you, the biker, were at fault? Because
you want to exercise your freedom? Bullshit.

My opinion anyway. Believe me folks, I'm as sensitive as anybody when it
comes to the government telling me how I should use my possesions. We just
can't exclude thoughts of our fellow man when exercising our "rights".

- -Snow Dawg

> Chris....Just a comment.....
>
> The problem with your "personal responsibility" line of reasoning is that
> everyone has a different definition. There are many that would (and do)
> argue that m/c riding, helmetless or otherwise, is not a
> responsible use of
> public roads. Gotta be careful how you use this particular arguement - it
> can cut both ways.
>
> As for  the matter of forking over the bucks "to buy yourself a
> few thousand
> acres, etc., etc.", I suspect that those helmetless devotees would counter
> (quite rightly) that they _have_ forked over the bucks (gas
> taxes) and they
> have as much say as to how _their_ public roads are used as you
> do regarding
> "yours".
>
> Me? I dunno. It's plain it pretty stupid to be helmetless. And I
> would like
> to see laws that keep family and friends from being _too_ stupid (I would
> like to keep both). But I also have a hard time arguing with anyone who
> thinks they ought to be able to exercise their choice.
> What I do is simply avoid people who don't wear - or advocate not
> wearing -
> helmets. If they're that unconcerned with their own wellbeing, they prolly
> don't care much about mine. Best to keep a safe distance and avoid 'em.
>
> Charlie McCullough

End of st-digest V2002 #306