Re: [ST] tire cupping

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Alex Hendry wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance, what's tyre cupping?

Hey Alex, the only stupid question is the one left un-asked!

I'm prolly not the one to define this, I'm sure someone else can (and I
hope will) do a better job.  As the front tire wears, the leading edge
right behind a sipe (groove) looks raised up and the tire looks like if
falls away down to the next sipe.  And as this wear continues it looks to
me like the middle part between sipes gets rounded somehow until there is
what looks to me something like large blisters in a way.  See, hard to
describe.

It is a common problem but can be minimized with proper inflation,
etc.  Some info I've seen indicate that excessive use of the front brake
can cause it, but what is excessive?  Har!  I tend to keep 'em inflated to
OEM suggestions, and do engine brake as well as use the front alot, what
pressures are others out there using?

I'm sure you'll get/find better descriptions of cupping/scalloping out
there.

> Also I don't get the trailer on your emails:

What don't you get?  If it's all a jumble, try setting your font to a
non-proportionally spaced one like Courier or similar so that things line
up.  It's not much really, just an old school signature that's developed
over the tooooo many years online.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail