[ST] Tale of the EBC brake pads

I recently was in the market for new front brake pads for my 2000 ST (9200
miles with about 30 % of the oem pads left). I am planning on going to the
Western Rallye so I thought I would install a new set and get them bedded in
before I left. A call to my local Triumph dealer left me in shock at the
price of a set of OEM style pads. $116.00 (2 sets for one front wheel). I
had heard good thing about EBC brakes so I called my local bike shop and
found they had them for $27.95 ea. or $55.90 for a pair. These were the
FA236 Kevlar pads. I also replaced the rear set with EBC FA214/2 Kevlars. On
first use of the front brakes I noticed a pronounced scraping sound like
someone holding sand paper against the rotors. I thought that maybe they
just need to be bedded in and the sound would go away. After 1500 miles they
still make the same sound. Worried that I was grinding away my rotors I
sprung for the OEM Triumph pads.
They  make no noise and without a doubt stop much quicker than the EBC pads.
On a scale of 1-10 with the Triumph pads being 10, I would say the feeling I
got with the EBC pads was about an 8. I still have the EBC pads on the rear
and they seem to work OK. Neither the Triumph OEM rears or the EBC rears
work all that well. Has anyone else had any experience with these EBC pads?
Al "Double Dawg"  Garvin
2000 ST

End of st-digest V2002 #286