[ST] Riding the new T5s

Hi Gang,

I've just spent a few days riding our new T5s. Here are my thoughts if
you're interested:

2002 Speed Triple (black)
- - lighter steering than previous model for sure, also lighter than the 2002
Daytona I just rode (more leverage & upright riding position), still super
stable as long as you don't work too hard on the bars.
- - more power all the way up. Really strong starting at 5K. No need to tug on
the bars for a throttle wheelie in 1st gear, 3.5 to 5k, just whack the
throttle and voila: unicycle. Could also be the lighter front wheel.
- - motor is smoother, more electric, same sound at exhaust, but no more rock
crusher at idle (nice)!
- - transmission feels a little smoother
- - suspension is better on rough roads, just as good on smooth ones,
compression damping much better sorted.
- - the seat seems worse even though it initially feels softer, I found my
butt getting tired sooner. There is more room to move around though. The
passenger seat is better (flat & higher up).
- - Brakes, Front: same, Rear: now it has one and it is just right!
- - Looks? I like it now that I've spent some time with it. That plastic panel
between the tank and the rear section is great because my leathers don't
scuff the paintwork anymore. Also the new flyscreen (same as the Speed 4) is
really clean from the cockpit, looks like it belongs. The optional seat cowl
actually makes the rear end look cool.
- - Negatives? Seat and maybe the lack of clocks for the speedo & temp, but I
actually like the digital speedo now.
- - Positives? If you get used to the looks, it is just a better bike all
around. And guess what, like the original T509, the looks grow on you. From
the saddle it is an instant blast!!!

2002 Sprint ST (blue)
Only the motor has changed so there's less of a reason to trade in a
pre-2002 model.
- - Weight. Moving the bike around the garage, it doesn't feel any lighter,
but out on the road it does feel a little different. The suspension feels a
little stiffer (in a good way) but that could just be that the bike is a
little lighter due to the pressure cast cases.
- - Motor (same as the 2002 Speed Triple) does feel more electric. Maybe not
as much power at 2-3K same at 4K and definitively more at 5K and beyond.
Revs more freely, sounds the same (except again, less mechanical noise at
idle). Transmission feels smoother, no false neutrals.
- - Fit & Finish are the same. I really like the use of the silver rims on the
2001 & 2002 models, it just makes the bike look cleaner.
Negatives? None, I would not trade the slight advantage off-idle for the
extra juice in the rest of the rev range. New stickers are a little cheezy
but hardly worth mentioning.
Positives? They may have stiffened up the suspension or maybe the Sprint is
wearing the TT600 wheel also (although I haven't read that anywhere), but it
does seem more responsive at the bars. I like the bike, but I would not take
a big loss on a pre-2002 ST for the upgrade.

2002 Sprint RS (black with carbon pipe)
This bike looks good in Black and the pipe sounds GREAT. It does add some HP
and isn't too loud. Everything else is the same as mentioned about the ST.
One thing I forgot to mention about the Speed 3 that applies here also is
that the new motor does look worse on the left side than the pre-2002s. It
was never the good looking side of the motor, but the round cover on the
crank mounted alternator seems to jump out a bit.

Now the for the shameless plug:

If you want to ride the new T5s, there are two spots left on our May 26th
RAT Ride in the Rockies (7days, 8nights) We'll have extra demo bikes for
everyone to try and Robert Smith is bringing along one of his classic bikes.
Ride one of our bikes or bring your own (less expensive), either way
everyone will get a chance to try the different machines. Email for a Last
Minute Prices. Its a great way to spend some serious time on the new
Triumphs on some of the best and most scenic roads anywhwere.

My 2 cents

All the Best,

Mike Ciebien
Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays