[ST] Poor fuel consumption

G'day All,
    I've owned the ST for 2 months now and i'm pretty happy with it, very
comfortable and goes reasonably quick. I've noticed that in the handbook
there are no dealer stamps, i wonder if it's ever been serviced? (12000 kms,
99 model). I've had a few bits come loose, in particular the gear selector
shaft link, steering stem nut and a few lost fairing bolts. I've changed the
oil and filter, adjusted the chain (rear concentric adjuster was 180 degrees
out!) and a new set of BT020's are going on this week ,the tyres were at
approx 25psi when i picked it up and the bike had been ridden a fair
distance judging by the condition! I'm expecting the handling to improve
quite a bit with the new ones fitted!
 Now to my question, i'm getting approx 40mpg either with my 60kg pillion in
a million or solo. I do a lot of riding with a bloke who has a 01 model RS
and he's getting approx 50mpg doing the same riding as me, what is going on
here? It's probably still playing the original tune (heh,heh), could that be
it? If it had carbs i'd suspect the air filter, it probably needs changing
anyway. Any other ideas? And the damned low fuel light comes on way too
early, i've looked in the archives but didn't find a fix, is there one? I
live approx 8 hours from the closest Triumph dealer so dropping it into him
is out for the moment.
I have made one big improvement to my fuel consumption...............change
up to sixth on the highway.............

Regards
Bill Wilkin
'99 ST   "Mary"