Re: [ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #275

I'm no metallurgist, but I'm pretty sure all Triumph cranks are made the
same way. My understanding is, though, that the Daytona uses forged pistons
(rather than cast), and that the con rods are shot peened--both of these to
resist the extra stresses caused by the higher rev limit. Daytonas also
have Nikasil plated bores rather than iron liners, but I think that's
mostly to save weight.

All Triumph crankshafts are made from flat blanks that are heated and
twisted to the required 120 degree angle (just as they were for the 1969-75
Tridents). After the journals are ground, the crankshafts are plasma
nitrided to surface harden them. When Triumph did factory tours, Rob, the
guide, used to say that only Triumph, Porsche and Mercedes use this technique.

At 08:18 AM 16/05/02 -0600, Lex wrote:
>possibly due to costs.  Cast is less costly than forged.

Sheep Dawg & Old Shep
Vancouver, BC
www.smith.bc.ca