RE: [ST] 500 mile service - doing it myself?

- -----Original Message-----
From: rmasiak
I wouldn't put full synthetic oil in so soon.  I read somewhere, but can't
remember where, that when breaking in an engine full synthetic oil shouldn't
be used until at least 1500 miles.  Some say after the first 3000 miles.  I
did mine after the first 2000 miles.  This is Just In Case things haven't
quite seated properly within the first 500 miles, they still have a chance
in the next 1000 or so.<

I did the first oil & filter change on my 2000 RS at 600 miles. I put in the
Triumph-branded Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Triumph oil filter (still the
only stuff I use, BTW.)

My bike now has almost 27,000 miles on it, and does not burn or leak a drop
of oil in the 6000 miles I run between changes. I am anything but gentle
with the throttle. I did adhere (somewhat loosely) to the break-in RPM
recommendations, and have never kept the throttle WFO for very long.

YMMV, but I have nothing to make me think that following the Triumph
recommendations won't result in a reliable, sweet-running engine.

Ken M. (a.k.a. "Mr. Ham-fisted")
'00RS