From: Andrew F. Kay, Jr. [mailto:captainquack@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 6:51 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: earplugco@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Re: Speakers

Paul, the best sound will not be achieved with speakers, whether you want
voice or music.  I would suggest that you contact a local hearing aid store
and have them make or order a pair of custom ear-plugs with built in stereo
quality speakers.

The plugs are made to a mold of your ears and will virtually eliminate wind
noise while the speakers will give you great quality sound.  You can wire
them into your Chatterbox or other source and hear well at speeds into the
triple digit range.  I use a Nolan Classic helmet, very noisy compared to a
solid full face, and have lost a LOT of my hearing over the years, but have
no diffficulty getting all of the music out of "Rythme of the Saints" at
cruising (80-90) speeds.

You should be able to get advice from Chatterbox on how to wire.  It may
require that you send your new earplugs to them so they can wire them up.
On the other hand you or some one you know may have the (minimal) skills to
do it yourself.

Here in Fla (1 West King Street, Orlando 32804, http://www.earplugco.com)
there is an outfit know as The Earplug Co and they have competitors
elsewhere.  They visit MC and shooting related events selling the product I
described.  They can make a mold of your ear on the spot and mail you the
completed speakers/plugs withing a few days.  A bonus is the mold makes a
pretty good earplug for times when you don't want to hear the speakers.
Carry them in your jacket pocket or shooting bag if you are into that.

I don't have any connection with the Company, but mention me and Riders of
the Lost Empire to Bob if you contact them, please.  We're always looking
for another firm that will discount to our members and a few sales help the
merchants see the value of our referals.

Check and see if there are events soon near you.  You save the extra charge
for the molds that hearing aid shops charge that way

Downside?  Well, you have to put them in.  Carry a little tube of handcream
and put a little on each plug before inserting.  Pull back on the ear lobe
and "screw in" to insert (you might get to like that part), lifting up the
top of the ear after plug is fully in.  This seals the ear-way and cuts out
most noise, but you will be able to hear voices if you don't have the volume
up.  They are so comfortable when in right that I don't bother to take them
out for short stops.

Another minus is price.  I paid $149.95 for mine, including the molds.  Not
cheap, but they provide the only reliable music/voice speaker system I've
found.  Very sturdy and hi-quality, mine are 2 years old and look new,
probably from all the skin lotion.  Did I mention K-Y Jelly works

Andy Kay
King, Riders of the Lost Empire
'69 BSA 441SS
'79 Bonneville