year in review(Re: [ST] New file uploaded)

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 08:35:39PM -0500, STeve Duncan wrote:

> BTW, I was down six weeks waiting on parts, would have over 30K instead of
> 28K at 2 years.

That reminds me, tomorrow is 1 year from the day I picked up my ST.  I
just looked, and it's been 10,079 miles.  I'm going to have to pick up
the pace this next year. :b

The goods:
- -a bike I can do a whole day on and still want to ride the next day, and
the next, and the next...
- -the triple's powerband and its growl
- -fuel injection.  mileage and ease of starting are wonderful.
- -this list and the folks on it I've met and ridden with
- -$420 for a year of full-coverage

The bads:
- -stupid vibration problem I still haven't fixed
- -oil leak/consumption that's still there

(granted both the bads are probably what I get for buying a used ST that
had an engine rebuild in its past life--anyone know of an engine from
a totalled bike that's within a day or two drive of Dallas?)

Things I miss from my previous bike (83 Nighthawk CB650SC), which I had
for 4 years and 6000 miles:
- -shaft drive.  this chain thing is a nuisance.
- -helmet lock.  I still think this was a retarded move on triumph's
part.
- -gear indicator.  I got spoiled, I guess.
- -self-cancelling turn signals (okay, the nighthawk didn't have this, but
an even older bike I owned, an 81 Seca 750 did)

Did I make the right decision?  Tough call.  My knees do hit the
fairings, though I knew they might before I bought it, and I've more
than once wondered if I should have gotten the VFR, instead, as it had
way more clearance in that area.  Plus, damn the V4 sounds sweet.

But I don't think I could give up the ST's powerband, or the hardbags.
And I sure didn't want to pay $1400/year more for insurance.  I still
think it's the best SPORT tourer out there.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)