Re: [ST] suspension setup

"Eric Mann" wrote:
> The front end seems very "loose", slight shaking, and the bike
> does not feel very smooth or planted in the corners.  Today,
> for the first time in about 10 rides, my fiancee went for a
> ride with me.  She weighs about 150lbs and 5' 10" tall.  The
> bike felt absolutely wonderful in the turns and a straight
line.
> Found some nice sweepers at about 35-40 mph and I was able
> to get my toes to touch down no problem with her on the bike.
> It just feels absolutely confidence inspiring riding 2 up.
>
> Now, how to I get it to feel that way riding with just one?
> Do I maybe have to much preload in the rear?  Anything else
> to check or try?  I didn't not change any of the suspension
> settings between the solo and 2-up rides.

Eric,
You didn't mention what settings you have now or how the rear
tracks solo but if it skips over sharp bumps, you might try
backing off the rear preload 4-5 turns & take a test ride.  Just
take it easy & work up to speed.  Usually if its too soft the
rear will pogo in the turns.  The front could be too stiff too.
Keep records, make only one change at a time & reevaluate.  Oh,
it wouldn't hurt to check the steering head bearing tension
either.
HTH,
- -Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST