[ST] suspension setup

OK, I have been having a little "handling" problem for a while not that I
need some help with.  Background: 2001 Sprint ST with Triumph CF can, 18T
sprocket, #13 Tune, ZG DB windshield.  I do have the 2 pannier setup.
Myself, I weight about 235lbs, and 6' tall.

Anyway, last fall before putting the bike away and then this spring, I have
a had a problem when I ride by myself.  The front end seems very "loose",
slight shaking, and the bike does not feel very smooth or planted in the
corners.  Today, for the first time in about 10 rides, my fiancee went for a
ride with me.  She weighs about 150lbs and 5' 10" tall.  The bike felt
absolutely wonderful in the turns and a straight line.  Found some nice
sweepers at about 35-40 mph and I was able to get my toes to touch down no
problem with her on the bike.  It just feels absolutely confidence inspiring
riding 2 up.

Now, how to I get it to feel that way riding with just one?  Do I maybe have
to much preload in the rear?  Anything else to check or try?  I didn't not
change any of the suspension settings between the solo and 2-up rides.

Thanks,

Eric Mann
eric91z@xxxxxxxxx
'91 Camaro Z28