Re: [ST] New front tire + turn = Gravity Storm.

>Sadly, yesterday, my Atomic Orange RS had a gravity storm induced meltdown,
courtesy of a brand new front tire (approximately 500 yards on it!).<

Oh boy, can I relate to that! I had about 25 miles on my new BT-020's late
July last year. Took a nice easy right hander, no problem. Tried the same
thing on the left and it was a slow-motion movie of increasing lean angle
(man, can I corner this thing!), which then became a race to see which
stopped on it's side first, me or my RS.

Same kind of damage to both me and the machine, and also thanks to riding in
full gear, no real damage to me. In fact, I rode the bike for the rest of
that (group) ride that night. My RS had swung around and smacked the
tailsection "point" into the grass berm however, and that took out every
single piece of the rear bodywork. Ouch$!

I bought all the replacement pieces, rear bodywork, underseat pan (which is
your rear fender also), left front fairing, turn signal housing, shift
lever, LH footrest, and that magnesium crankcase cover from Jack Lilley
Triumph. They beat the best price I got from US sources by a considerable
margin, or I would have used my local guy. One thing: Do be sure to order a
new seal for that crankcase cover, because it doesnt come with one and it's
futile to try removing your current one intact. Get a gasket too, as it
doesn't come with that either. Be careful to follow the procedure for
installing that new seal, or it'll be trashed. If you don't have a service
manual. let me know and I could fax you the page for that.

One nice feature of the European version of the underseat pan/rear fender is
that is does not have the holes in it for those silly Schwinn bicycle
reflectors that the US Dept of Transportation insists we have on our bikes.
That stupid little thing would never be a factor in saving MY life, glad
it's gone. Plus, the short black Torx screws that held the rear reflectors
on now live at the front fender, where I removed the equally useless front
reflectors and their long screws.

Good luck with your repair, glad to know you're OK.

Ken M.
'00 RS