Re: [ST] Other tank removal hazards

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:27:09PM -0700, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Watch out for the rubber cushion & bushing that secures the front of
> the tank.  It falls off when removing and replacing the tank.  For me
> it usually falls down onto the engine or in the fairing and is a PITA
> to find.

Heheh, too true.  I just did this last week, while taking off the tank
to clean oil out of the airbox.

In fact, I didn't even realize that there was supposed to be a bushing
that goes between the tank and frame until after I had put things back
together and taken a test ride around the neighborhood and noticed that
the tank wiggled. #*$(&!

So I took the bushing that goes under the allen bolt to Home Depot and
found a matching rubber washer size.  Well, same diameter, but thinner,
so I stacked 3 of them (at $0.28 apiece).  I'm embarrassed to admit that,
but not embarrassed enough to see how much a dealer wanted for that
little piece of rubber or to wait till they were open and drive the 30
mins to them.

During the process, I also dropped the metal spacer tube for the top
allen bolt into the bike somewhere.  It didn't come out the bottom, and
I couldn't find it anywhere inside by feel or shining a flashlight.
I was getting ready to field strip the bike, which I've gotten pretty
good at, when I looked down in there from the top and noticed that it
would have fallen down onto the radiator.  I reached my finger in and
turned the fan blade and heard a little rattling sound!  It had fallen in
the fan shroud.  I was able to reach in and get it through some amazing
finger gymnastics, but I shudder to think what would have happen if I
hadn't found it when the fan came on next.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)