[ST] Beauty & the BEAST

Evening all,

In the spirit of other field reports, I just wanted to let you know about my
750 mile ride this weekend out into New York.

Saturday morning I left my Southern New Hampshire home, did some highway
miles until I got on to Route 2, into western Mass.  Fair weather, kind of
cool but the appropriate gear and heated grips were great.  The ride was nice
up into western Mass, but nothing special for riding but the foliage.
Although on the decline, the foliage looked wonderful, and after a brief rain
shower the sun began coming out.  I dropped down Route 43, crossed into New
York, took 22, then 23 seeing much better foliage, and the roads were fine
too.  Did a brief stint on the Tatonic  Parkway.  Only one comment:  THAT
ROAD SUCKS.  Splits going every possible way in the concrete, large jolting
lips where the concrete slabs settled differently, haphazard and very poor
repairs and shims with asphalt.  I don't believe I have ever had to watch my
line that closely on a straight road before.  It was like one very long nasty
corner taken too fast.  I finally ditched this cursed viaduct for 199 into
Rhinebeck, had lunch with a nice farmer bringing in hay, and crossed over the
river and took Route 28 which wraps over the top of the Catskills Mountains.
Great road.  Smooth, wonderful views, wide open.  Very, very nice.

But, it got so much better when I turned off of 28 and got onto Route 30
heading towards Downsville.  What can I say, it's a perfect road.  Wide,
smooth, super curvy with excellent sight lines, no gravel, traffic, cops,
deer etc., and the views of the reservoir were amazing.  IF YOU CAN GET
THERE, PLEASE RIDE THIS ROAD.  Although fully loaded, I happily dragged the
pegs (I know, I know, but no need to reopen that thread) throughout the whole
section.  Just wonderful roadway.

As I came out into Downsville, with a stupid grin on my face I bumped into a
very nice couple.  She road a Triumph Trident, He had a nice Concours.  Both
had just ridden the same section of 30 that I had and also had a blast.

This was followed by a high speed drive through farm country (I was following
the locals, not too closely, between 65-75mph constantly) to Ithaca where I
spent the night with some friends.  400 miles, almost on the button.
Wonderful ride.

Since my friends and I stayed up way too late I left this morning with speed
in mind so I blasted back through the farm country (Sundays are not for slow
driving there either.  I don't get it, lots of sharp changes in direction and
elevation, dozens of animals and lots of farm equipment, but still the locals
drive like this), hopped on 88 north to Albany.  This is where the BEAST
comes in.  I'm most of the way through Albany (no toll for motorcyclists
apparently, nice thing) and I am bitten by the dreaded clutch cable break!
Yup, put me on the list.

It's a Sunday afternoon with nothing open, 200+ miles from home, in town,
with many more towns in front of me, and my clutch cable breaks.  What a
bummer.  I hope I didn't wreck anything but stopping was a frantic "find
neutral while in moving in traffic with no clutch", or lug the bike down
until it stalled.  I was then faced with walking the bike through
intersections (sometimes done), or trying to paddle along with the bike in
first and the starter button on until it caught (most often done, but with
gritted teeth).  Not good at all.  I really don't want to know how rough that
must be on the starter and transmission.  Euh!

Once in the country, following Route 2 back into Mass, despite lack of clutch
and superawarness of what was in front of me was actually very nice,
discounting the situation.  More wonderful curvy clean roads which I took
extra carefully and slowly, but fun nonetheless.  Very pretty views of the
mountains and valleys and I had warm sunny weather.

The rest of the ride was comprised of fairly good upshifting, the down
shifting was rather rough to say the least, but I tried to be gentle and the
previously described freak stops and starts in the various towns.

Overall a super weekend with very good roads (except one) and a good time,
although the last few hours were a nerve wrecking nightmare.  No fun to be
without a clutch.  Tuesday morning I'm going to make a very irate phone call
to my dealer.  I'll get two cables, as many others have suggested and be much
more aware of how nice my bike really is.  Despite the clutch issue, it ran
beautifully, I was quite comfortable, but will still try Alex's Gen-Mars, and
I got to see some areas that I have never been before.

Note:  Whomever it was who was collecting names for the clutch breakage list,
please include me, and send me a copy if you would.  I would love to bring
that into my dealer.  Mine broke with 2322 miles on it.

Be safe, carry spare stuff

Sean
'01 Sprint ST BRG
'98 XR400 w/ lights (now being driven on the road a lot)