[ST] RE: avon azro2 sport tires anyone running these tires?

> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:54:22 EST
> From: PETE1182@xxxxxx
>
> I just order these tires and am wondering if anyone has run these
> tires on there sprint st

Pete,

I run the Azaro 2 Sport (AV39F) on the front and the Azaro 2 'Standard'
(AV36R) on the rear.

I like these both the tyres and the combination a lot, the softer front
gives me lots of confidence on track days, and the rear is not only grippy,
but also gives me lots of feel about what's happening when I push it, i.e. I
believe I can feel it begin to drift, well in advance of it breaking away
uncontrollably. With this set-up, I find I can grind the pegs (on dry days)
without any problems.

Knowing how far I can go on the track gives me complete peace of mind on the
road, where I ride a lot more sedately. ~:)

The only criticism I have is that the rear tends to lose bite in the wet on
smooth tar/overbanding/road paint. I had a word with the Avon UK Sales
Manager on their stand at the NEC show a fortnight ago, and he said that
this was as a result of the 'swirl' tread pattern leaving significant areas
of the tyre un-treaded, and the tyre tending to follow the swirl in the wet.
Ergo, Avon have announced the AV4x series, which they claim offers +20%
grip, and the AV46 has a more evenly distributed tread pattern to overcome
the undesirable wet weather characteristics. [The tyre model names are the
same, just the numbers have increased by 10.]

I got 2980 miles out of my last rear (down to the legal tread limit). The
front has so far done 4242 miles, and I anticipate changing it next time I
change the rear. Currently, the right-side shoulders are showing more wear
than the left, but the tracks that I've visited with the ST have few
left-hand bends!

Beware, Pete, that the Sport rear (AV40R/AV50R?) has a pronounced triangular
cross-section, so expect it to fall into the corners a lot quicker than the
Standard (AV36R/AV46R).

Have a look at photo contest pics BI, BM and BQ for the evidence.

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx