[ST] Battery Tender

It is my habit to plug  the Battery Tender in to my  '99 ST (no burglar
alarm)whenever it is going to be parked longer than a day or two, to prevent
the battery from running down, not that it ever has, although I did have this
problem with my '95 Trophy.

I have always thought it odd that, immediately after returning from a run,
(with no electric fan action, and with enough battery power to spin the
starter vigorously) the BT shows a steady red light, supposedly indicating a
discharged battery for 15 minutes or so, and then a red plus flashing green
for an hour or two, indicating an 80% charged battery, before showing the
steady green that means the battery is fully charged. I wondered if the BT
was overcharging my battery, which is a no-maintenance Yuasa VTX14-BS about 6
months old, and decided to take some readings from the battery, which I left
in situ:

1. Immediately after the run, engine stopped, no electric fan: 12.89 V
2. Engine idling (1500 rpm): 13.86 V
3. Engine running at 4,000 rpm: 13.89V.
4. Battery tender attached, (engine stopped) showing steady red: 13.05 V,
slowly increasing 1n .01V increments.
5. 15 minutes later, BT showing red plus flashing green: 13.16V.
6. 2 hours later, BT showing steady green: 13.12V
7. Next morning, BT steady green, 13.05 V.

My conclusion: Nothing to worry about.  The BT is doing a good job, but the
sensor that determines its light display needs a reality check. Dave Collins,
San Diego