Re: [ST] Re: Warming up an engine

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Rick & Joyce wrote:

> In Andy's routine below, I might hold off starting the engine
> until step 4.
> >
> > I go through the following routine when starting up the RS:
> >
> > 1. Open garage and unchain RS
> > 2. Wheel RS out of garage and start it, whilst parking on side
> stand
> > 3. Put on earplugs, helmet, gloves
> > 4. Quick visual check of RS (tyres, chain etc.)
> > 5. Close and lock garage
> > 6. Sit on bike (coolant temp now about 60-70 degrees C)
> > 7. Engage first gear and ride away :-))

My status check is real quick (probably quicker than it should be :-)
but I am pretty much there. With a cage I don't wait, but then again I have a
1/8th mile crawl to get out of the apartment complex. On the
bike that is the exact same sequence that I follow, with the following
mods.

1. put bags in luggage (assuming I am off to work or such); open garage
2. start bike
3. helmet, jacket gloves (in that order, less than 30 seconds)
4. hop on bike and back up bike out of garage.
5. hit the garage door opener and wait for friggen cheap apartment
   garage door to close.
6. off I go.
7. with easy riding up to temp on the st by the time I am at Frankford
   ( okay, there are only about 5 people on the list that that means
   any thing, it is the first street about 1/2 mile down the access road
   from my complex. I also have to take the long way out of the complex
   as the exit closest won't pick up my bike, bastids.

Has any one else had this problem, except for going out the extrance gate,
this able to use my remote, neither of the exit gates pick up my
bike very well. If I circle around sendor the one (far gate) will
eventually pick up the bike. I know that is a common problem. My
pet peeve, is that the f'n apartment complex dimwits won't tell the gate
maintance peple to up the sensitvity.

Anyway, lease is up for renewal, time to go have some fun I guess.

l8r,
t.

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 7 months old, 13,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500