Re: [ST] Fuel Stabilizer - OK for the Sprint?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Reyes"

>  I am not a scientist, but I do know that if your
> octane is too low it will cause problems, like pre ignition and
> overheating problems and hard starting.

no argument there

> Which can lead to lower MPG
> because of lack of efficiency.

says who?

> As stated in your Triumph manual the ST
> calls for 95 octane.

actually the service manual calls for 95 RON and then right underneath this
specification it says "(U.S. 89 CLC/AKI)".  I don't know what the CLC/AKI
actually stands for, but I know the 89 corresponds to what you'll find on
all gas pumps around here (ie. Canada) and I believe in most places in the
States.  BTW 89 corresponds to mid-grade, so anything more is overkill, and
you won't go any further on a gallon

> Well, the highest available octane here in Portland
> Or is 92, unless you buy trick gas which is like 5 or 6 dollars a
> gallon.

no need to -- 92 is more than enough -- 92 is premium

> I did notice a power improvement and smother running engine with
> the increase of three octane.

no argument here either, except to perhaps question the degree of
improvement

> It is not to say that 92 octane is too low
> but if you can get the octane rating up to what is called for in the
> manual, why not.

why not indeed

> Plus it is one of those out of sight out of mind
> things. I never have to remember to put stabilizer in my tank when I put
> my ride to sleep for the bad months in winter.

I wasn't commenting on the fuel stabilzing aspects of the stuff you
mentioned.  I'm sure it works fine, but then so does isopropyll alcolol,
which is the primary ingredient in most fuel stabilzers.  How long it lasts
depends primarily on the proportion used.

>  I think allot of folks
> get that kind of MPG with there ST's

yup, and they can do it with 89 octane gas too

> and if they don't maybe it is
> worth a try?

I don't think so

> Ride Safe Have Fun