Re: [ST] Idle Problem

G'day Bill and Kevin,

You shouldn't have to change the pipe to make the bike run
correctly.  My bone-stock '01 runs just fine, thank you.

Though it may be necessary to remove the tank to check for vacuum
leaks [damaged or disconnected hose, cracked stepper motor body]
or a wiring fault, this problem is usually corrected through
resetting the closed throttle position and the stepper motor [2
operations], and then checking/setting the idle CO to 3%.  While
the tuneboy is connected, check which tune is loaded [on the
"Read Build Data" screen] & verify that it is the correct one for
your setup, ie. stock pipe and that they haven't loaded in a tune
for say, a T595 Daytona by mistake.  The main thing to remember
is that if any change is made to the tune [tune update, stepper
reset - whatever], then the idle CO should be checked & reset to
3% if needed.

While on the subject of CO settings, infra-red exhaust
analyz[s]ers require periodic calibration.  I urge all to inquire
of their dealers when this was last done and to request the
dealers who aren't keeping up on this to mend their ways.  An
excessively lean or rich fuel mixture will greatly shorten the
service life of your engine.  [rant mode off].

On that note, Kevin.  If your engine has been running at [gasp!]
12%, I'd suggest an immediate oil change once the condition has
been corrected.  Then have the CO rechecked, since
fuel-contaminated oil WILL affect the tailpipe CO reading.

Hope this helps,
Rick in Oregon
'01 ST
"NO Dawg"

> I'm having problems with the idle on My 2001 ST. It idles too
low, and
> occasionally stalls. It has the standard pipe on it.
>
> It has the new tune in it, #12 (?). I've had a talk to the
local trumpy
> dealer, no joy.
>
> I am told that putting a sports pipe and tune fixes the flat
spot above
> 3000rpm. I'm wondering whether the pipe is the cause of the
idle
> problem? Any thoughts/suggestions/ experience on this one?
> Bill

> I have experienced similar idling problems with rough running
particularly
> at about 3500 rpm and excessive carbon deposits around the end
of the CF can
> (01 ST with #12 tune). I have been back to the dealer 3 times
and they are
> now checking the stepper motor and such for abnormalities. They
measured 12%
> CO which apparently is way off the mark. TOA have made
suggestions and I am