Re: Recall for Chains

> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:57:22 -0500
> From: "Herzog, Jordan" <jherzog@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Recall of Some 2000 Sprint ST's and RS's
>
> Jordon Herzog wrote :-
> Vehicle Description: Motorcycles. The final drive chain side plate was not
> hardened correctly.
> This chain could fracture causing a loss of drive to the rear wheel.
> Dealers will replace the drive chains.

Interesting.

I'm not familiar with the recall process, but presumably the next stage
will be for Triumph to try and identify the specific bikes affected and
publish their VIN's to dealers for recall. Does that VIN information
make it into the public domain eg. on the NHSTA web site that you
referred to (I'm not sure if there is an equivalent in the UK).

The reason I ask is that my chain broke in June at 7,500 miles (bike was
bought new in September '99). It was replaced under warranty. I was
wondering if this was one of the batch they were referring to, or a
separate incident.

Just for interest, I was doing around 80 mph at the time in the outside
lane of a dual carriageway. The chain snapped as I changed gear.
Thankfully it didn't snag or jam and flip me off, but dragged behind,
destroying the back tyre in the process - nice big cloud of smoke as it
gouged a 2" groove down to the carcass of the sidewall. I cruised to a
halt a couple of hundred yards down the road in a lay-by and whiled away
an hour or two waiting for the rescue service - flustered at being late
for an important meeting, but grateful to be upright.

Antony