for L.A. area riders - Newcomb's Ranch

The following was taken from the report of the minutes of the May 24,
2000 meeting of the Angeles Crest Traffic Safety (ACTS) Task Force:

Barry Stubblefield of Mt. Waterman Acquisition Holdings. introduced
himself and informed the committee that the company will be taking
over
Newcomb's Ranch restaurant within 120 days.  He stated that
currently,
MOTORCYCLISTS ARE NOT GOOD BUSINESS and he welcomes the Highway
Patrol's
presence.  This should bring back the tourist business that has
diminished due to the problems with motorcyclists.

If you have any specific questions pertaining to that statement--or
the
meeting in general--contact Mike McClure who represents the American
Motorcyclist Assn on the "task force."  Mike can be reached at
909-371-2399 or makomc@xxxxxxx .

 Mike was nice enough to volunteer to attend the meetings which are
normally located in the La Canada/Flintridge area.  My experience
with
the meeting(s) was they were well attended by CHP and CALTRANS with a
smattering of Sheriff, Forest Service, medical, county fire and
educational personnel--all with "time on their hands" which accounted
for the length of the meeting.
 I--personally--did not find them to have an open mind with
regard to motorcyclists and it appeared their AGENDA was set--they
needed to do something to get the Federal grant monies to pay for the
"extra" enforcement (as they already have in the Bay Area).

My purpose in distributing this information to various motorcycle
enthusiasts and organizations is the comment attributed to Mr. Barry
Stubblefield of Mt Waterman Acquisition Holdings.  My experience with
Newcomb's Ranch is the majority of their customers on weekends and
holidays are motorcyclists of all "persuasions."  There are few
"4wheel
tourists" no matter what time I stop.

At the one "task force" meeting I did attend, I heard references made
concerning the "alcohol consumption" of motorcyclists at Newcomb's
Ranch.  Again, my personal observation--as recent as two weekends
ago--was only one "biker" with a beer.  The "drinks-of-choice" being
either coffee, tea or water.  The "4wheel tourists" were at the bar
drinking!  Also, there is usually a delay in getting your food served
because so many motorcyclists ride up just to enjoy breakfast and/or
lunch--again, I saw very few "4wheel tourists" having a meal.

I suggest we find a way to "communicate" with Mr. Stubblefield and
let
our feelings about his "comments" be known.  Better yet, if he does
purchase the "ranch" there are other alternatives:  (1) the "Hidden
Springs" on the Forest Hwy is motorcycle-friendly (2) the Mile High
Cafe
on Big Pines Hwy near Largo Vista (3) continue to Wrightwood which
has
several options or (4) select your favorite spot before leaving for
your
ride on "the Crest!"  Just to "drive the point home," make it a point
have a "pit stop" and/or smoke break in the parking lot--just don't
spend any $$$ there....

Perhaps Mike McClure could start distributing a review of each
meeting
to interested parties--I think we should stay informed!

Ride Safe and Free....

Hank Hallmark, member
ABATE of California
American Motorcyclist Assn