Re: Panniers

>> Having the panniers on the bike does make it harder to get the bike up on
>> the rear stand because they change your leverage point. But even with my
>> bad back I can do it.
>
>The only time I had problems was with very well loaded (i.e. overloaded)
>panniers and top box.  That is, too much weight still on the bike.
>Removing the top box took care of the problem.

After reading everyone else's responses that it is easier with the panniers
installed, and me being the lone dissenter, I figured I better explain.
Without the panniers, I didn't have to bend over so much. Putting the bike
on the centerstand was (and always should be) done with the leg muscles. I
would grab the frame and it allowed me to keep my back relatively straight.

With the panniers, I have to reach down to grab the handle, and that puts
more of a strain on my back than before. Since I herniated a disk earlier
this year, I'm pretty sensitive to how I treat my back now, but I'm not
willing to give up on the convenience of panniers just so I can put the
bike on the centerstand once in a while.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com