re: Fuel leak?

>  From: James Wright <jwright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 09/19/2000 13:41:
>  Hi all, been inactive for a few weeks now, currently in an intensive Trial
Advocacy Workshop which has prevented me from even reading most of my mail.

>  I have a question - over the last couple of tanks, my fuel mileage has
dropped significantly, to 35mpg.  Before I was getting to 180 miles before
hitting the fuel light, now hitting it at 130.  Is this a plausible level for
city riding, or do I have a fuel leak?  I've suspected the latter because I've
conspiciously smelled gas a couple of times while stopped on the bike (red
light/stop sign), but never seen any puddles below the bike, and I've looked.
Never had the fuel sender replaced, though it was a bit wild when I first got
the bike.  (Better now, strangely.)

>  Any input appreciated...
>
>   -- Jim, 2000 Sprint ST, Jamaica Plain, MA

	My guess would be a leak, unless you're commuting in first gear. I
usually get to about 210 miles before getting the low fuel light, regardless of
city or highway. Even riding hard I've never gotten it before about 160.

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	Spring, Texas, USA