Re: Panniers

At 12:12 PM 9/19/00 -0400, Storkepe@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I am a new ST owner and I was considering adding the Triumph two bag
>system.  However, the installation I have been quoted is 3 hours and I am
>concerned about the ability to get the bike up onto the centerstand.  How
>feasible is it to install the bags myself, and does it make it more
>difficult to put on the centerstand?  Any suggestions/comments would be
>greatly appreciated.

Well, I would say go for it. As a long time proponent of removable luggage
that will come as no surprise to many....

The first time you hit a hotel and pop them off to carry all your
belongings inside...

or

The first time you lock your camera inside while you head in to eat at a
restaurant without worrying about it.....

you will wonder how you ever lived without them.

I pulled up at my hotel on Friday with my wife and parked next to a
HarleyFXRSDWG or some such creature with leather bags attached. We hopped
off while watching the Harley owner cursing because his liner (a plastic
garbage bag) had caught and he was unable to free it. As I popped the latch
to remove my right hand bag I watched a strong tug from the harley owner
followed by a bag of clothes emptying themselves onto the parking lot.....

;-)

Installation will take a couple hours, but it shouldn't be beyond your
ability as long as you can turn a wrench and operate a drill. Once
installed, the supplied lift handle will make getting the bike on the
centerstand a fairly easy job (as long as you don't attempt it in bare
feet....)

- - Eric

End of st-digest V2000 #485