Close encounter of the deer kind

Yesterday at about 6:45pm I was riding down Hwy 9 through
some canyons doing around 60 when all of a sudden a deer
flew past the front of my bike, right-to-left.

I mean, the sucker was flying, legs fully extended, right across
the front of my windscreen.  That was where it was when my
brain first registered there was an obstacle.  Layed out across the
front of my bike in mid-air just bike lengths away.

The deer must've been running full blast and then jumped sideways
across the road.

I'd barely begun to react when the deer's rear hooves just missed
the windscreen on the left.  I missed the animal by inches.  I couldn't
believe that I didn't at least wing it's legs.  Whew!

This happened *damn* fast.  I was focussed on my riding and can't
think of anything I could've done other than maybe ride slower.

I plan enjoy a hearty dinner of deer venison at the first opportunity.

Save the Mountain Lions!

- -Don "Blue Dawg" Draper