ride report

Hello,

I've finally found time to relate my recent adventures in sport touring
on my 1999 Triumph Sprint ST.   Nothing earth shattering here, but I
really enjoy reading about other peoples rides and thought that some of
you might enjoy this.

I can't say that the riding part of the trip was particularly eventful,
but then, maybe eventful is not what one should be looking for when
riding a motorcycle long distance.  Some totals from my trusty GPS to
start:  Total miles on this trip were 2693 miles (not including the
little bits of riding around Froid).  Most of those little trips were of
so few miles that the GPS would just be acquiring the satellites by the
time I got to where I was going so I just didn't use it.  I had a 71.8
MPH moving average and just under 50 MPH total average including stops.
Not too bad for my first long distance trip on a motorcycle!  Comparing
GPS mileage to my odometer revealed 100.1 miles on the odometer compared
to 100 miles on the GPS.  Overall gas mileage for the trip was 49 miles
per US gallon with speed generally around 85 mph and about 350 pounds of
rider and gear.

I started this journey on September 4 from Santa Fe, New Mexico.  I had
every intention of completing a Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours
or less) that day, but as the sun fell on the Wyoming side of the Black
Hills (around 800 miles) and I realized that if I continued I would have
to go 300 miles more on 2 lane unfamiliar roads in the dark to reach the
next motel, I decided to forego that distinction for this trip.  1000
miles would have taken me just past Dickinson N.D. and the next stop
would have been Bismarck, another 100 miles.  So the Days Inn, Spearfish
South Dakota beckoned and I responded with a solid nights sleep.

About the only excitement on the first leg of this trip was the
exploding tire on the old Dodge van I was passing while putting Denver
behind me.  Luckily it wasn't a Firestone equipped Ford Explorer and it
was able to proceed safely to the side of the road.

September 5 found me ready for the next leg of the trip.  I rode about
10 miles to Belle Fourche, South Dakota, filled up and was adjusting my
tail pack when I sensed some rather intense scrutiny coming from behind
me.  Turning, I discovered a 60 something gentleman all but falling out
of the open window of his vehicle.  Since he was obviously not looking
at me, I backed off so he could get a better look at my Triumph.  After
about 30 seconds he says (without taking his eyes off the bike) "I used
to own a couple of them.", thus launching a familiar discussion of old
and new.  When I told him that there was a dealership in Rapid City
(about 50 miles away), his eyes got that far away look.  I would almost
bet he has since been there.

So on to my destination for the day, Devils Lake, North Dakota.  Coming
up on the North Dakota border I noticed a bluff stretching across the
horizon.  My only thoughts were, 'cool, curves'.  I hadn't seen any so
far this trip and was getting just a little bored.  As the curves
approached I stepped up the pace to take advantage.  Really getting into
this now.  This is kind of fun.  The third corner goes by and I set up
for the fourth.  I round the fourth corner... "Oh Sh--, DEER!"  Luckily
(for me) the last thing that deer saw was the car that left it directly
in my path.  Just tighten the corner and go around.  More corners...
Cool!  Begin noticing cow pies on the road.  Not thinking too clearly
here, just excited about the corners.  More corners, more cow pies.  One
more corner and the reason for all the pies becomes pretty clear.  I do
have to say that the lady on the horse moving the herd of cows down the
road was particularly impressed with the brakes on my bike.

September 8.  I'm in familiar territory now.  Heading home (to age 18
anyway).  A stop in Rugby, North Dakota to visit a high school friend,
then on to Froid, Montana.  I had forgotten the viciousness of the wind
in that country.  When traveling east or west on this trip, I was
encountering cross-winds up to 70 MPH.  Not a whole lot of fun.

September 10.  Just a short trip south to Fairview, Montana for more
visiting.

September 11.  On my way back to New Mexico now.  It's almost straight
South.  Montana has instituted a speed limit.  70 MPH on two lane.
Radar coverage is light (just make sure you do the limit and no more in
town) and I make really good time through to I-25 at Douglas WY.  750
miles to Castle Rock, Colorado.

September 12.  Heading out from an overnight south of Denver.  Just five
hours and home by 3pm.  I haven't seen but two or three patrol officers
on the highways to this point.  In the last five hours, I see at least
15 so I'm stuck at 75 mph.  At least the speedometer indicates 82 mph at
an actual 75 mph so I can pretend I'm really making better time.

Overall, I had 9 days in 6 states without a single drop of rain,
temperatures in the low 80's, no moving violations, not a single hiccup
from the Triumph, and a wonderful vacation.  You can bet I'll be doing
this more often.  I love this machine!

September 13.  Back at work.  Bummer!

Dan Wallander
Santa Fe, NM